Skip to main content

TUTORIAL: American Girl Crochet Hat



Lately, I have been having so much fun making my girls clothes for their dolls.  My latest project was these cute crochet hats.  They fit nice and tight, and I love the way they look on the dolls.  I am sharing the pattern with you today so that you can make a few for your dolls too!

The yarn I used for this hat I purchased online from Fabric.com.  It is called Cotton Classic Yarn.  They have changed their website up a bit and I haven't been able to find it recently, so I am not sure if they are still selling it.  This is my favorite yarn for crocheting Doll hats, so I hope I can find some more in the future. 

Materials Needed:
DK weight yarn (#3)
Crochet hook size: F  5/3.74 MM

Click HERE for a list of abbreviations.

Notes:
-Gauge: 4 sts and 5 rows = 1" (2.5 cm) The gauge is for sc rows.  If your gauge is not right, go up or down a size crochet hook in order to get the right gauge.

Instructions:
Make a magic loop, ch 1;

Rnd 1: 12 hdc in the ring, join with a sl st to the first hdc, ch 1 (12 hdc)

Rnd 2: 2 hdc in each st around, join with a sl st, ch 1 (24 hdc)

Rnd 3: (hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st) around, join with a sl st, ch 1 (32 hdc)

Rnd 4: (hdc in the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st) around, join with a sl st, ch 1 (40 hdc)

Rnd 5: ch 3 (counts as the first dc), dc in the same st you just joined in, ch 1, 2 dc in the same st, skip the next 3 sts, {(2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in the next st, skip the next 3 sts} repeat from {to} 8 more times, join with a sl st to the first dc (40 dc, 10 ch-1 spaces)

Rnd 6-8: sl st in the next dc, sl st into the next ch-1 space, ch 3, (counts as the first dc), dc in the same ch-1 space, ch 1, 2 dc in the same ch-1 space, skip the next 4 dc, {(2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in the next ch-1 space, skip the next 4 dc} repeat from {to} 8 more times, join with a sl st to the first dc (40 dc, 10 ch-1 spaces)

Rnd 9: ch 1 (does not count as the first sc), sc in the same st as you just joined in, sc in the next st, skip the next ch-1 space, sc in the next 2 sts (sc in the next 2 sts, skip the next ch-1 space, sc in the next 2 sts) repeat around, join with a sl st to the first sc (40 sc)

Work in the BLO for the last 3 rnds.

Rnd 10-12: sc in each st around, join with a sl st (40 sc)

Fasten off, weave in your loose end and you are finished!

Enjoy your Doll Hat!

Comments

  1. I got confused at row 5. It says "in the next ch1 space" but we didn't make any ch1 spaces in the previous row, right? I am a beginner so it could just be my lack of experience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. You are right, I typed rnd 5 up wrong. Thank you so much for pointing that out so that I could get that fixed. Let me know how your hat turns out :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. If you were going to sell these, how much would you charge, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were going to sell these, how much would you charge, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely pattern easy to understand nice and lacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very easy to follow pattern! It turned out very cute. Do you think it would be easy to increase the pattern for a matching child's hat as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little confused about what happens between the end of rnd 5 and beginning of rnd 6. At the end of 5 it says to sl st in the first dc, does that mean the 3rd stitch of the chain rnd 5 began with, or the beginning of the first true dc?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having a problem understanding what u mean at the start of row 6-8, is there a video I can look at to see what you mean? I'm so confused....lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. She urinated thrice. [Interestingly, she noted her pee had the color of highlighter ink.]She then went in for the test and passed with flying colors. However, the color of the urine was alarming but was likely due to artificial coloring in the drink. Apart from these, you would also do well to remember a few helpful tips: First, you can help your body discard the toxins by drinking a lot of fluids. Drink lots of water every day. Visit: https://www.urineworld.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TUTORIAL: Doll Diaper plus Pattern!

  This weekend I made diapers for my little girl's doll.  I probably made more than she needs, but it was so much fun to watch her face light up as I got each one of them finished!    I designed the pattern to fit her Bitty Baby Doll .  But, I also realize that some of you may have a different size doll....  So, I made the waistband adjustable.  It may not fit all of your dolls and stuffed animals, but this will make it more likely to. I wanted it to be a nice and tight fit so that we could fit the doll's pants over the diaper, and it worked out well!   Today I am excited to share the tutorial with you.    Here is what you will need: 1/4 yard or a fat quarter of cotton fabric.  Coordinating thread 1/2" sew in Velcro.  I have tried the stick on kind, and didn't like it.  It eventually comes off.  If you try to sew it on, it will gum up your needle and the needle will have to be replaced.  I highly recommend the sew in kind that is n

O' Crochet Christmas Tree! Crochet TUTORIAL

Materials Needed: -Worsted Weight #4 Yarn.  I used 100% cotton yarn, but acrylic yarn will work well too. -Crochet Hook Size: E/4-3.50MM -Sharp Needle for sewing pieces together -Scissors -Stuffing -Safety Pin for marking your Rnds -Cardboard Abbreviations: Click here for a list of abbreviations. Special Stitches: Beginning Crocodile Stitch: ch 3, (counts as the first dc),      work 5 more dc around the post of the next st,  ch 3,  sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook,  work 6 dc around the post of the next st (beginning crocodile stitch made) Crocodile Stitch: work 6 dc around the post of the next dc, ch 3, sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook, work 6 dc around the post of the next st (crocodile stitch made) Notes: The gauge doesn't matter so much for this pattern because you aren't making an article of clothing that needs to fit someone.  I do tend to crochet very tight (tighter than normal) when I am making amiguru