Skip to main content

TUTORIAL: Doll Diaper plus Pattern!

 

This weekend I made diapers for my little girl's doll.  I probably made more than she needs, but it was so much fun to watch her face light up as I got each one of them finished!
 


I designed the pattern to fit her Bitty Baby Doll.  But, I also realize that some of you may have a different size doll....  So, I made the waistband adjustable.  It may not fit all of your dolls and stuffed animals, but this will make it more likely to.


I wanted it to be a nice and tight fit so that we could fit the doll's pants over the diaper, and it worked out well!

 
Today I am excited to share the tutorial with you. 
 
Here is what you will need:
1/4 yard or a fat quarter of cotton fabric. 
Coordinating thread
1/2" sew in Velcro.  I have tried the stick on kind, and didn't like it.  It eventually comes off.  If you try to sew it on, it will gum up your needle and the needle will have to be replaced.  I highly recommend the sew in kind that is not sticky.
 
Before starting, you will need to download and print the pattern.  You used to be able to click on a link here on the blog and print the pattern, but blogger changed something and people aren't able to access it anymore.  I can't figure it out...  So you can find the pattern and some instructions to print it on my Facebook Page. The post should be pinned to the top.  Copy and paste this link into your search bar https://www.facebook.com/littleabbee

After you have printed the pattern, cut it out and you are ready to go.  There is a 1" box on the pattern so that you can measure and be sure that you printed the pattern the right size.  You don't want to cut into your nice fabric until you double check. 

Now go grab your stash of fabric and choose some cute prints!  This is a great way to use up extra scraps of fabric.


When looking at your pattern piece, you will notice that you need to cut the straight side out on the fold.  This just means that you will need to fold your fabric, and pin your pattern with the straight side on the fold.  Don't cut on the fold side.


You will need to cut two pieces of fabric for each diaper you want to make.


With right sides together put 4 pins on the back of the diaper about 3" apart.  This is just to remind you not to sew in between them.  Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew all the way around the diaper where you see the dashed lines.  Be sure to leave the space in between the pins open.  This is where you will turn your diaper right side out when you are finished sewing..


Here is what it should look like when you are finished. 


Now, trim your seam allowance.  I like to cut about half of it off, making sure that I don't cut into the sewing.  I always do this when I make doll clothes.  Doll clothes are so small anyways, and I think that it cuts down on the bulk.  This will also make it easier to get the curved lines flat when you turn the diaper right side out and iron it.   Here is how it will look after you trim it:


Now, turn it right side out.  It is really important to iron it at this point.  Fold the little opening at the top in and iron it down as well so that it is even with the rest of the diaper.  When you topstitch around the diaper it will close up the opening.


Now, topstitch around the outer edges of the entire diaper.  Sew as close to the edge as you can.


Now, you need to cut your Velcro.  Cut out a 4" piece (soft side) for the front of the diaper. 


With the right side of the diaper facing up, pin the Velcro to the top of the diaper about 1/4" from the top edge. 

Sew around all 4 sides of the Velcro as close to the edge as you can get.  I just sew right over my pins.


Now you will need to cut 2 pieces of Velcro (hard side) to sew to the sides of the diaper.  Cut them so that they are 1" long.  You will need to sew these to the back side of your diaper.  Turn it over so that the wrong side is facing up and pin the Velcro on about 1/4" from the edge. 


Sew around all 4 sides of the Velcro as close to the edge as you can get.  Here is how it should look:


You are finished!  Fast and easy project, right?  Just fold the top up and the sides in. 

 
I made six of these diapers, and my little girl loves to change her Bitty Baby's diaper.  You may need to make some more, you never know when she will need a diaper change.  It is fun to have a bunch of different colors to choose from!  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. We tried them and we were impressed with the softness, absorbency and fit. Since the twins are premature, they're a bit small so getting the right diaper fit is a challenge. Baby diaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information Looking for soft baby dolls for infants? Check out the huge collection of a soft baby doll. Soft Doll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information We have a massive collection of soft toy doll images, Cinderella soft toy doll, princess soft toy doll available with us. Grab now. Soft Toy Doll Images

    ReplyDelete
  4. • The product is relatively expensive. The Urinator is designed to ensure that the synthetic urine will mimic the temperature of natural pee. It can be difficult for the fake pee to reach the exact temperature required. Most synthetic urine products come with heating pads or powders, which can be risky and unreliable. To get the greatest effects from the shampoo, follow the guidelines as strictly as possible. When you're through, rinse your hair and towel dry it. Visit: https://www.urineworld.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't get the pattern. says access denied. maybe you can fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to fix it! I can't figure it out. You can find it on my facebook page for the time being, it's pinned to the top: https://www.facebook.com/littleabbee

      Delete
  6. I can't get the pattern! It won't allow me to access it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to fix it! I can't figure it out. You can find it on my facebook page for the time being, it's pinned to the top: https://www.facebook.com/littleabbee

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

O' Crochet Christmas Tree! Crochet TUTORIAL

Materials Needed: -Worsted Weight #4 Yarn.  I used 100% cotton yarn, but acrylic yarn will work well too. -Crochet Hook Size: E/4-3.50MM -Sharp Needle for sewing pieces together -Scissors -Stuffing -Safety Pin for marking your Rnds -Cardboard Abbreviations: Click here for a list of abbreviations. Special Stitches: Beginning Crocodile Stitch: ch 3, (counts as the first dc),      work 5 more dc around the post of the next st,  ch 3,  sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook,  work 6 dc around the post of the next st (beginning crocodile stitch made) Crocodile Stitch: work 6 dc around the post of the next dc, ch 3, sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook, work 6 dc around the post of the next st (crocodile stitch made) Notes: The gauge doesn't matter so much for this pattern because you aren't making an article of clothing that needs to fit someone.  I do tend to crochet very tight (tighter than normal) when I am making amiguru

TUTORIAL: American Girl Crochet Hat

Lately, I have been having so much fun making my girls clothes for their dolls.  My latest project was these cute crochet hats.  They fit nice and tight, and I love the way they look on the dolls.  I am sharing the pattern with you today so that you can make a few for your dolls too! The yarn I used for this hat I purchased online from Fabric.com .  It is called Cotton Classic Yarn.  They have changed their website up a bit and I haven't been able to find it recently, so I am not sure if they are still selling it.  This is my favorite yarn for crocheting Doll hats, so I hope I can find some more in the future.  Materials Needed: DK weight yarn (#3) Crochet hook size: F  5/3.74 MM Click HERE for a list of abbreviations. Notes: -Gauge: 4 sts and 5 rows = 1" (2.5 cm) The gauge is for sc rows.  If your gauge is not right, go up or down a size crochet hook in order to get the right gauge. Instructions: Make a magic loop, ch 1; Rnd 1: 12 hdc in the ring, join