Skip to main content

TUTORIAL: Crochet Bridal Garter




My little sister just got married last month!  I wanted to make her something...... I teased her and told her I was going to crochet her a wedding cake.  But ultimately I decided that I would make her a simple Garter.  She loved it!  Today, I would like to share the pattern with you.  So lets get started!
 
 
Materials Needed:
-Size 1/2.75MM Crochet Hook
-Two colors of size 10 Crochet Thread. 
-3/8" Elastic.  The amount you will need will depend on the measurement of your thigh.  I will explain later on in the pattern.
-You will either need a sewing machine to sew the elastic together, or you can hand sew it with a needle and some thread.
 
Abbreviations:
Please see my Abbreviations Chart.
 
Notes:
Cluster Stitch: yo insert hook in ch 4 space, yo and pull up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on the hook, (2 more times), yo and draw through all 4 loops on the hook.
 
-The gauge for this pattern doesn't matter too much because you are making this custom to fit your size depending on how you cut the elastic.  However, you do need to make sure that your dtr stitches in rnd 1 are tall enough that you will be able to weave your 3/8" elastic through them when you are finished with your project.  If you need to, you can use a larger hook.
 
Instructions:
With your main color of crochet thread ch 220, join with a sl st to the first ch to form a large ring.
 
Rnd 1: ch 4 (counts as the first dtr), dtr in each ch around, join with a sl st to the first dtr (220 dtr)
Rnd 2: ch 1 (does not count as the first sc), sc in the same st as you just joined in, sc in each st around, join with a sl st, fasten off (220 sc)


Join with a sl st into any sc with your next color of crochet thread

Rnd 3: ch 1, sc in the same st as you just joined in, ch 4, (skip the next 3 sts, sc in the next st, ch 4), repeat all the way around until you have 3 sts left, skip the last 3 sts, sl st into the first st to join, fasten off (55 ch 4 spaces)


Rnd 4: join with a sl st into any sc from the previous rnd, {(ch 3, work cluster (in notes section above), ch 3, sl st into the previous st (your cluster), ch 3, sl st into the next sc)} repeat from {( to )} around, join with a sl st to the first sc, fasten off.


Rnd 5, 6, and 7: With your main color of yarn, join with a sl st into any dtr on the opposite side of the garter.  Repeat rnds 2, 3 and 4. 

Weave in your loose ends.

Measure all the way around your thigh where you would like your garter to sit, and then add 1 inch.  This is the length you will need to cut your elastic.

Weave your elastc through your dtr stitches you crocheted from rnd 1.  I weaved mine in and out of every two stitches.  You will need to sew the two elastic ends together with either a sewing machine or a needle and thread.

You can crochet any flower that you would like.  I crocheted a double layered flower from my Madison Hat Pattern.  I have a few free flower patterns in my tutorials section that you could crochet as well.  I just hand sewed the flower right to the elastic using my loose end and a sharp sewing needle.


 Enjoy your Bridal Garter!
I would love it if you would share your pictures with me on facebook!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TUTORIAL: Doll Diaper plus Pattern!

  This weekend I made diapers for my little girl's doll.  I probably made more than she needs, but it was so much fun to watch her face light up as I got each one of them finished!    I designed the pattern to fit her Bitty Baby Doll .  But, I also realize that some of you may have a different size doll....  So, I made the waistband adjustable.  It may not fit all of your dolls and stuffed animals, but this will make it more likely to. I wanted it to be a nice and tight fit so that we could fit the doll's pants over the diaper, and it worked out well!   Today I am excited to share the tutorial with you.    Here is what you will need: 1/4 yard or a fat quarter of cotton fabric.  Coordinating thread 1/2" sew in Velcro.  I have tried the stick on kind, and didn't like it.  It eventually comes off.  If you try to sew it on, it will gum up your needle and the needle will have to be replaced.  I highly recommend the sew in kind that is n

O' Crochet Christmas Tree! Crochet TUTORIAL

Materials Needed: -Worsted Weight #4 Yarn.  I used 100% cotton yarn, but acrylic yarn will work well too. -Crochet Hook Size: E/4-3.50MM -Sharp Needle for sewing pieces together -Scissors -Stuffing -Safety Pin for marking your Rnds -Cardboard Abbreviations: Click here for a list of abbreviations. Special Stitches: Beginning Crocodile Stitch: ch 3, (counts as the first dc),      work 5 more dc around the post of the next st,  ch 3,  sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook,  work 6 dc around the post of the next st (beginning crocodile stitch made) Crocodile Stitch: work 6 dc around the post of the next dc, ch 3, sl st in the 3rd ch from the hook, work 6 dc around the post of the next st (crocodile stitch made) Notes: The gauge doesn't matter so much for this pattern because you aren't making an article of clothing that needs to fit someone.  I do tend to crochet very tight (tighter than normal) when I am making amiguru

TUTORIAL: American Girl Crochet Hat

Lately, I have been having so much fun making my girls clothes for their dolls.  My latest project was these cute crochet hats.  They fit nice and tight, and I love the way they look on the dolls.  I am sharing the pattern with you today so that you can make a few for your dolls too! The yarn I used for this hat I purchased online from Fabric.com .  It is called Cotton Classic Yarn.  They have changed their website up a bit and I haven't been able to find it recently, so I am not sure if they are still selling it.  This is my favorite yarn for crocheting Doll hats, so I hope I can find some more in the future.  Materials Needed: DK weight yarn (#3) Crochet hook size: F  5/3.74 MM Click HERE for a list of abbreviations. Notes: -Gauge: 4 sts and 5 rows = 1" (2.5 cm) The gauge is for sc rows.  If your gauge is not right, go up or down a size crochet hook in order to get the right gauge. Instructions: Make a magic loop, ch 1; Rnd 1: 12 hdc in the ring, join